Friday, September 21, 2012

I'm JUST

Today, I attended a one-day conference, advertised in some part as a technology conference.  It really wasn't.  It was more about the cool things several educators are doing around the state to make learning better for kids.


Before the last session, I sat with mostly folks from my own district, spare one person.  This person had also presented earlier in the day and apparently, at least one of our district people had attended the session, given the dialogue between the two of them.

The dialogue peaked my interest, so somewhere in the midst, I asked what her role was.

"I'm just a Kindergarten teacher."

ARG! 

Think of the last time you heard another professional say, "I'm just a [brain surgeon]."  Most professionals are glad to announce what they do.  Teachers, on the other hand, have had a bad rap, especially lately, and have been programmed to apologize for their career choice.

During all this dialogue, I ended up calling her on the "I'm just" statement, saying she has probably one of the hardest jobs in K12.  When the time came for other introductions and one of our people began by saying, "I'm just"... she quickly corrected them.

If you are a teacher, you are not "JUST" anything. Take ownership and pride in your role!  Wear it as a badge!

No comments:

Post a Comment